What is Batch Picking?
Batch picking is a method of order picking that requires pickers to collect the items for multiple orders concurrently. It is also known as multi-order packing, cluster picking, and fulfillment batching. It is a faster order-picking strategy than others, as it significantly decreases warehouse travel time.
Significance of Batch Picking in E-commerce
Batch picking focuses on optimizing operational efficiency helping companies to enjoy faster picking rates. This method comes with several benefits, which are discussed below.
- Batch picking allows pickers to reduce travel time by avoiding repeated routes.
- It is a cost-saving approach as the inventory is saved in different warehouses, costing less.
- At the same time, it also saves space as the batches are distributed throughout the location.
- Employee morale finds an all-time high with less exhausting tasks by implementing one SKU at a time.
Prerequisites for Batch Picking and How It Works
Batch picking can be understood using the following pointers:
- To initiate batch picking, one has to create a list that considers factors like SKU, warehouse location, and inventory quantity.
- You can group the orders according to the same inventory items.
- The next step is to assign each batch to its picker.
- After the picker gets their batch, they can pick items for the order.
- Finally, after the item has been packed, it can be shipped to its desired location.
Use Case of Batch Picking
Batch picking unlocks the fastest and most efficient way to pick orders. Consider that you’re running on a tight schedule regarding delivery. Since the delivery is scheduled for the next day, you must prepare for shipping faster.
In such a situation, you assign your warehouse workers to simultaneously pick items that are common to multiple orders. Hence, by using batch picking, you fulfill several orders at the same time.