What is a Flow Rack in E-commerce?
A flow rack is a type of storage system used in e-commerce warehouses. It is designed to maximize space efficiency by storing items vertically, allowing goods to be accessed quickly and easily. Flow racks are typically made up of parallel, adjustable shelves that can slide up and down, allowing goods to move quickly in and out of the racks.
Significance of Flow Rack in E-commerce Inventory
The flow racks help e-commerce companies to store different sizes and types of goods in the warehouse, reducing storing costs. The advantages of using flow racks include the following –
- They help to optimize space utilization, increase efficiency, and reduce manual labor.
- Flow racks are designed to maximize the storage capacity of a warehouse or distribution center by creating an efficient flow of material. It allows for faster picking and packing and improved order accuracy.
- Flow racks also help reduce product damage and shrinkage, as products are stored in a securely organized way.
- By using flow racks, e-commerce businesses can better manage their inventory and ensure that orders are fulfilled quickly and accurately.
Prerequisites to Calculate Flow Rack and How It Works
Flow racks, also called gravity flow racks, are designed to store inventory in a way that allows for a first-in, first-out (FIFO) inventory management system. To calculate flow rack, one must first understand the basics of rack storage systems which are as follows:
- Identify the size and type of products that need to be stored. It includes the items’ height, width, depth, and weight.
- Determine the number of shelves and racks needed. Calculate the total weight of the items to be stored and divide it by the weight capacity of each shelf or rack.
Use Case With Flow Rack
ABC company deals with perishable items that need to be replenished every two days. Due to the rise in market demand, ABC incorporated automated flow rack systems to speed up the process. After implementation, ABC could increase its warehouse work efficiency by 50%.