Free Shipping Day (FSD) in Australia is a one-day event where participating retailers offer free shipping on all orders, regardless of size or weight.
Shipping is a critical component of e-commerce and can be a decisive factor in customer conversion. According to a recent study by Baymard Institute, more than 70% of shoppers will abandon their carts. One of the major reasons for this is high shipping costs.
There are three main types of shoppers: early, late, and peak holiday shoppers. Early shoppers are typically the first to buy gifts and often take advantage of sales and promotions like FSD. Late shoppers are those who wait until the last minute to do their shopping and are often willing to pay more for expedited shipping. Peak holiday shoppers are those who shop during the busiest time of year, such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
This blog post will provide an overview of FSD in Australia, including the benefits for both shoppers and retailers. It will also discuss the different types of shoppers and how they can take advantage of FSD. Additionally, the post will offer tips for saving money on shipping throughout the year.
By the end of this blog post, you will better understand FSD, the importance of shipping in e-commerce, and how to save money on your e-commerce business.
What is Free Shipping Day?
Free Shipping Day (FSD) is an annual event where participating retailers offer free shipping on all orders, regardless of size or weight. It is a popular shopping holiday in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
FSD was created in 2008 by Luke and Maisie Knowles, founders of Coupon Sherpa and FreeShipping.org. FSD aimed to extend the online shopping season and encourage consumers to shop early for the holidays. It is celebrated on the first Tuesday of November in the United States and Canada and on the first Tuesday of November in Australia.
At the time, online shopping was still relatively new, and many consumers were hesitant to shop online because of the shipping costs. FSD was designed to remove this barrier and make it easier for consumers to shop online.
FSD offers a number of benefits for both shoppers and retailers. FSD is a great way for shoppers to save money on shipping costs. Shipping costs can add up, especially when shopping for multiple items. FSD allows shoppers to avoid paying these costs and save money on their overall purchase.
For retailers, FSD is a great way to boost sales and attract new customers. By offering free shipping, retailers can make their products more attractive to shoppers and encourage them to make a purchase.
The Significance of Free Shipping Day
Free Shipping Day (FSD) also significantly impacts consumer behaviour and online sales.
It is popular with consumers because it allows them to save money on shipping costs. Shipping costs can be a major barrier to online shopping, especially for large or heavy items. FSD eliminates this barrier and makes it more affordable for consumers to shop online.
FSD also encourages consumers to shop early for the holidays. FSD is typically held in early November, giving consumers plenty of time to shop for and receive gifts before Christmas.
Free Shipping Day Sale (Australia)
Things to Remember About Free Shipping Day for Businesses
FSD is a great way for businesses to boost sales and attract new customers. By offering free shipping, businesses can make their products more attractive to shoppers and encourage them to make a purchase. However, there are certain things that businesses need to keep in mind with regard to this event.
- Straight 24 hours of free delivery: Businesses should make sure that their website and shipping systems can handle the increased traffic on FSD.
- No minimum order requirement: Businesses should consider waiving their minimum order requirement on FSD to encourage more shoppers to make a purchase.
- Assured delivery by Christmas: Businesses should make sure that they can deliver all orders placed on FSD by Christmas.
Benefits of Free Shipping Day for Consumers
Like every other sale day, participating in Free Shipping Day is choc full of different advantages. Here are some of them:
- Increased Sales Volume: Free shipping is a major incentive for shoppers to make a purchase, especially during the holiday season. By offering free shipping on FSD, businesses can expect a significant sales volume increase.
- Circumvent Holiday Traffic: FSD can help businesses circumvent holiday traffic by encouraging shoppers to shop online. This can be a major advantage for businesses with physical stores, as it can help reduce the number of customers who need to be served in person.
- Attract New Customers: FSD is a great way for businesses to attract new customers. By offering free shipping, businesses can make their products more attractive to shoppers who may not have considered shopping with them before.
- Upsell and Cross-Sell Opportunities: FSD can also help businesses to upsell and cross-sell products. By offering free shipping on orders over a certain amount, businesses can encourage shoppers to spend more money. Additionally, businesses can promote complementary products on their FSD landing page to encourage shoppers to add more items to their carts.
- Improved Customer Reviews: FSD is a great way to improve customer reviews. By offering free shipping, businesses can show their customers that they appreciate their business. This can lead to more positive customer reviews, which can help to attract new customers and boost sales.
- Positive PR and Media Coverage: FSD can generate positive PR and media coverage for businesses. This can help to increase brand awareness and attract new customers.
Tips for a Successful Free Shipping Day
Now that you have your sights set on a successful Free shipping day sale, you must be wondering how to get to those aspirational levels of success. Using the following strategies, you have a chance at acing the Free Shipping day rush:
- Optimise website speed
Australians are some of the most mobile-savvy shoppers in the world, with over 62% of online purchases made on mobile devices. This means ensuring your website loads quickly and smoothly on all devices is essential. You can use a tool like Google PageSpeed Insights to test your website speed and identify areas for improvement.
- Plan marketing campaigns
Start planning your FSD marketing campaigns well in advance. This will give you enough time to create effective marketing materials and reach your target audience. You can use a variety of marketing channels to promote FSD, such as email, social media, and paid advertising. Be sure to highlight the benefits of FSD, such as free shipping on all orders and no minimum order requirement.
- Set clear shipping terms
Make sure to set clear shipping terms and conditions for your FSD campaign. This includes things like the shipping cutoff time, delivery times, and any restrictions on free shipping. You should also communicate these terms and conditions to your customers clearly and prominently on your website and in your marketing materials.
- Identify and stock inventory wisely
Identify which products you want to promote on FSD and ensure you have enough stock. Look through your inventory dashboard or manually check your warehouse stocks to detect slow-moving products. Following that, you can consider offering exclusive discounts or deals on FSD to encourage shoppers to buy from you.
- Train customer support
Your customer support team is likely to experience a high volume of inquiries on FSD. Be sure to train them on your FSD campaign and shipping terms and conditions so they can provide accurate and helpful information to your customers.
- Monitor competitor offers
Keep an eye on what your competitors are doing to promote FSD. This will help you ensure your campaign is competitive and offer your customers the best possible deals.
Free Shipping Day (FSD) is a major shopping event in Australia, and it is a great opportunity for businesses to boost sales and attract new customers. By offering free shipping on all orders, businesses can make their products more attractive to shoppers and encourage them to make a purchase.
FSD is also a great way for businesses to circumvent holiday traffic and improve their customer reviews. Additionally, FSD can generate positive PR and media coverage for businesses.
To make the most of FSD, businesses should optimise their website speed, plan marketing campaigns, set clear shipping terms, identify and stock inventory wisely, train customer support, and monitor competitor offers.
Locad is a leading shipping carrier operating in Australia that can help businesses make the most of FSD. Locad ensures fast and reliable delivery, and they can help businesses set up custom shipping solutions.
If you are a business owner in Australia, contact Locad today to learn more about how they can help you make the most of Free Shipping Day.