What Is a Shipper?
Shipper (also known as consignor) is an individual or company that transports or receives goods via land, sea, or air. It organizes and ships goods from one point to another. Usually, the shipper is payable for the cost of freight, except if mentioned otherwise in the transport contract before delivery. Once the carrier arrives, the shipper examines the load and signs the bill of lading (BOL) form.
Significance of Shipper in an E-commerce Shipping and Delivery
A shipper can safely transport single or multiple loads in each trip. Here are some of the significance of working with a shipper.
- Quick product transfer: A shipper handles many tasks to ensure the fast transfer of products. The tasks include inventory management, product selection, setting up a transportation management system, appropriate storage, packing, record-keeping, and accounting.
- Safe product shipment: Ensuring correct labels and postal care on packages is one of the responsibilities of shippers. So, it guarantees a shipper with safe product delivery.
- Identifies product shortages: A shipper handles the organizing and transport of goods so it can instantly detect product shortages. Consequently, it informs the business authority to counteract this shortage.
Prerequisites for Shipper
Here are some of the prerequisites to consider while partnering with a shipper.
- It is the shipper’s responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions stated on the BOL form before signing it. If any clause is unclear, they should clarify it before signing.
- A shipper must make sure all the shipment includes a shipping label and packing slip for every item of the order.
- It is the shipper’s responsibility to make sure goods reach customers timely and in decent condition.
Use Case With Shipper
Suppose company X deals with the manufacturing and delivery of keyboards for computers and laptops. It must appoint a shipper who can look after organizing and transporting the keyboards to customers at the point of pickup of goods. The shipper must ensure that all shipment takes place safely and timely.